Pages

Wednesday 19 February 2014

Mac's Kitchen Cheat Sheet: Japanese Curry Rice

My oddball husband doesn't eat curry. Definitely weird since I'm pretty sure curry is a staple for 'real' Malaysians. But if there is one form of curry he ever only eats (and oddly enjoys) its the Japanese Curry Rice. So here's my take on preparing the Japanese Curry Rice, an easy and quick meal the both of us enjoy.

I'd just like to note that there is nothing special to how I cook the meal. In fact you'll find that the instructions at the back of the curry sauce box are very similar. What is different though is the quantity or portions of the ingredients used. I believe it to make all the difference to that final plate we sit down to enjoy.


Ingredients:

Half a box (equals to 1 individual pack) of House Java Curry Sauce Mix
(The are a lot of Japanese curry sauces available in the supermarkets but my favourite is the Java Curry Sauce Mix from House. Each box contains 2 individual packs)
1 chicken breast
2 medium potatoes
2 medium carrots
1 large onion
1 tablespoon oil
Soy sauce and pepper
2 cups calrose rice (I use Sumo Calrose Rice)


Method:
  1. Wash and cook rice first. The instructions on the rice pack says 2 cups water to 1 cup rice but I find it to be a little too much water. I use 11/2 cups water to 1 cup rice.
  2. Pound chicken to soften before cutting into cubes. Lightly marinade with some soy sauce and pepper.
  3. Cut potatoes, carrots and onion into cubes.
  4. Heat oil in saucepan and saute ingredients until lightly brown. Add 21/2 cups of water and bring to boil (the instructions on the box says 3 cups for half a box but I like my sauce a bit thicker). Cook a while longer till ingredients are tender.
  5. Cut up block of curry sauce into small cubes and stir into saucepan . The cube will dissolve easily.
  6. Bring to a quick boil and turn down the flame for a slow simmer for another 10 minutes or so till sauce thickens.
  7. Spoon generously over hot rice and serve.

Makes 3 generous servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment