Pages

Saturday 20 June 2015

Dad's Retro Chest of Mini Drawers

I've been wanting to do a 'beyond the page' project for quite a while now and took the opportunity to stock up on more than a few kits from the Kaisercraft outlet store while I was Down Under last month.

I was thrilled when my hubby also picked up a kit for himself; the mini drawers and asked if I'd put it together for him. I was even more happy when he also participated actively to pick out paper for his project. He selected a retro looking sheet with lots of 'manly' tags (this patterned  paper is from the Garage Days Collection named Spare Parts) and we picked up a few other pieces to complement. I guess all those years of dragging him along to the craft store finally rubbed off on him!


I started the project by painting the edges of the frame with Tim Holtz's Distress Crackle Paint in 'Frayed Burlap' and covered the top and back of the frame with the coordinating back from the 'Spare Parts' patterned paper we had picked out. Paper from the Curiosity Collection called 'Eccentric' was used on the 2 sides and 'Rare', also from the Curiosity Collection on the bottom pane.

I then cut out the retro tags from 'Spare Parts' and used them as decoration and also added a key charm from my collection and the letter 'j' on top (hubby's initial) for some added interest.


Next, I assembled the chipboard drawers with Beacon's 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue. This is my favourite craft glue, very fast drying and it held the boxes together very well.

Initially, the little drawers easily fell out from the frame when the unit was moved. So to make sure the boxes stuck to the frame, I decided to hold them by adding magnets. I drew out the grid of the boxes on the back panel of the frame and glued on the magnets.


I then added magnets to the back of each of the chipboard drawers. After the magnets were in place on both frame and drawers, they were covered with 'Download' patterned paper from the Technologie Collection leftover coloured cardstock respectively. 



Finally, I made a template for the front of the drawers and cut out 9 more tags from the 'Spare Parts' patterned paper to cover the front of the pull out drawers.



I was pleased with the final product, and this has been one of the most fun projects I've completed thus far. Crafting has always been a hobby but working on a project as a gift for a loved one is even so much more gratifying.

The hubby was thrilled with the final product dubbing it "Dad's Mini Drawers".




No comments:

Post a Comment