Pages

Monday 23 June 2014

Falling in love with Interior Design - Inspiration by Abigail Ahern

I came to read about Abigal Ahern by chance really.

She was featured in the March 2013 issue of Australian Home Beautiful which I happened to pick up at that time. I loved the article but didn't think much about it until seeing a picture of her loft again online.

abigail ahern via rue mag 1
Image from deardesigner.co.uk


I knew I had seen that aesthetic somewhere before. A little more digging after that led me to her website and on to her blog. Then on, I just fell in love.

Maybe it is her easy to read and candid style of writing or the stunning and unique photos but it all just seemed to resonate with me. Full of ideas and inspiration, Abigail's blog is a gem. Most importantly, she offers fantastic tips and honest advice on interior decoration (the Abigail Ahern way).

Her interiors are extraordinary - at the borderline of over the top, quirky and on the "dark side" (as she puts it) but undoubtedly captivating . I know it's not the definition of my decorating style but all the same Abigail's little tips resound in my head...

"Don't be afraid to play with scale"

"Add texture"

"Experiment, play with colours"

"Forget the rules"

"Baby steps"

"It will turn out well, I promise"


Abigail has really inspired me to be much bolder than I'd ever though I'd be when working on the new house. Just last week, I convinced my husband to buy this over sized wall sconce for the stairway leading to our rooftop patio. Something I know I would never have done otherwise.

My husband and I took a leap of faith and painted all the bedroom doors dark grey (instead of keeping them white). Baby steps........the doors turned out fantastic and we absolutely love, love, love them.

I'm now working on a very bold look for the foyer and I just know it will turn out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment