Pages

Friday 29 August 2014

Moodboard: Modern Rustic Guest Room

After having so much fun creating the baby room moodboard, I just had to make one for the new guest room too.

For this design, I decided to set myself a little challenge - minimum cost and maximum reuse of furnishings and decor I already own. That included set of Mum's old curtains she insisted I use. A  once-over of the apartment and I quickly identified the items I had to reuse:
  1. Mum's set of beige curtains (notice how this is the first item on the list)
  2. White chest of drawers
  3. Bluish-white queen size bed
  4. White side table
  5. The Ikea rug we bought real cheap a long time back but still sitting in the storeroom wrapped in its original packaging.

So, the task was to design the room by reusing all these items. Put together, I was left with a beige, gray and blue colour scheme and quite a predicament.  I hadn't the faintest idea how I was going to tie those colours together. Naturally, I looked to Pinterest for inspiration - and then browsed around for something I could get my hands on locally.

Surprisingly, it was Ikea that came to my rescue. They have a set of quilt covers which is primarily brown-beige and gray with turquoise accents. 
image source

That would instantly pull together the beige and grays I was struggling to match and also dictate the accent colour of the room - turquoise! Incidentally, I have a pair of turquoise owls in my stash of decor and bang, I had my fundamental room design!

To add a little interest I'll be looking to add a few accent pieces....a turquoise chair, mirror with metal frame (not sure if I'll be able to find a similar one) and a rattan laundry basket. Finally, I included the set of paintings and a wooden based table lamp, also from my existing stash. Out of the 12 items on the moodboard, I already have 8 of them.

Taa-daa... mission to design a guest room with minimum cost and maximum reuse accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment